Jim Leach and his team have years of experience getting results for people who have incurred medical and other expenses – as well as pain, suffering and emotional trauma – as a result of dog bites.
Call our offices today and let personal injury lawyer Jim Leach Attorneys at Law review your situation and outline your legal options. There is no charge to talk to Jim about your case, and we don’t charge attorney’s fees unless and until we recover compensation for you. You might just need some legal advice, which we will gladly provide for free. If your case requires assistance from a lawyer, we are prepared to put our experience, resources and persistence to work for you.
If you have a serious case, here is why you need a serious lawyer like Jim Leach:
- Jim has years of experience helping dog bite victims get the compensation they are entitled to. Most of the time that involves negotiating with big insurance companies to pay claims, and not directly with the dog owner who may be a friend, relative or neighbor.
- He tailors his resources and energy to your needs, whether in the courtroom or at the negotiating table.
- He has strong community ties and is well-equipped to understand your values, point of view, and aims.
What to Do After a Dog Bite
After being bitten by a dog, seek medical treatment as soon as possible, especially if an unfamiliar dog bites you. Although first aid may be done at home, medical attention is important in order to manage infection and disease, even if the bite is minor. Dogs can carry rabies and other dangerous diseases, and you should be tested for these conditions after an attack.
Your first concern should be caring for your wound, but if you do not require emergency medical care, make sure to exchange names and contact info with the owner of the dog who attacked you, if the owner is present. Ask them to provide you with proof of the dog’s latest rabies vaccination, including date, administering veterinarian, and rabies vaccine license number, then call the veterinarian to verify. A doctor will be able to tell you if you need treatment for rabies or other diseases. Animal control and the police should also be notified of the incident and the rabies vaccine status of the dog.
To care for a dog bite injury at home:
- If the wound is bleeding, apply a clean towel and some pressure to stop the bleeding. Keep the injured area elevated if possible, to decrease blood flow to the area.
- Wash the wound with soap and water if bleeding is light.
- Apply a sterile bandage to the wound.
- Apply antibiotic ointment to the injury every day to prevent infection.
Dog Bite Questions
It means that the dog owner is held responsible for injuries inflicted by the dog, even if that dog had never previously bitten anyone. In the past, many states had a “one free bite” rule, where the owner was not held responsible for the dog’s first attack, but was held responsible for any thereafter. As more dog bites have been happening over the years, more states have moved to strict liability.
That would be determined in each individual case.
When the dog owner is a friend or a neighbor, it is understandable that you would want to resolve the situation amicably in order to preserve your friendship. However, it is always a good idea to consult an experienced attorney if your child has been the victim of a dog bite, even if the dog owner is a friend or neighbor.
A dog bite attorney can provide you with sound legal guidance to ensure you take the proper steps following your child’s injury. These steps include:
- Determining if the dog has rabies.
- Seeking the proper medical attention.
- Discovering if the dog has a history of violence.
Most importantly, hiring a dog bite attorney will help ensure that you receive the compensation you deserve.
The West Virginia dog bite lawyer at Jim Leach Attorneys at Law have handled many dog bite claims, and we have the skills to provide you with aggressive representation that will hold the negligent dog owner accountable for your damages. We will investigate the events of your accident and interview witnesses to prove negligence in court. Our lawyer will fight tirelessly to protect your rights.